Lactation (Not So) Basics is the class we wished we had before attempting to feed our babies. We want everyone planning to nurse to take this class in order to develop a shared language and get a sense of what lies ahead. If you haven’t heard already, this “natural” process can be really complicated sometimes! In our time together we address:
- The secrets to getting a great latch, why and how nursing does not have to be painful!
- Milk production and why the timing of feeds really matters as well as special considerations such as cluster feeds and growth spurts.
- How to know baby is getting enough milk.
- Breast care and troubleshooting clogged ducts, mastitis, and thrush
- Tongue ties + other possible complications
- Pumping, hand expression, storage, and alternative feeding options
- Changing patterns within the first 24 hours, first first two weeks, first few months.
- Ways partners can support the nursing parent.
- Oh, and a lot about the general awesomeness of breastmilk!
Our goal is to lay a strong foundation and give you the resources you’ll need for navigating the seemingly uncharted territory that lies ahead! Partners are strongly encouraged to attend.