NYC Educator: Job Description
👋 This position has been filled.
If you're interested in working with us at a later date, please reach out and let us know!
NYC Birthsmarter Educator: Job Description | 2023
Birthsmarter is on a mission to offer the most unbiased, inclusive, and accessible childbirth education to as many expectant parents as possible. With an innovative curriculum and a commitment to continuing education and professional development, Birthsmarter is quickly becoming a model organization in the birth world. Since launching in Spring of 2019, Birthsmarter has grown from a solo-endeavor to a dedicated team of eight educators across the United States and Canada. At this time, we’re focused on increasing our presence across New York City with a variety of birth preparation classes and postpartum support groups and are looking for dynamic and responsible educators to join our team.
A Birthsmarter Educators’ primary responsibilities are to build confidence, spark curiosity, cultivate community, and equip new and expectant parents with the skills and resources they need to successfully navigate the multidimensional birth and postpartum landscape in NYC.
This is achieved through:
- Teaching on-brand Childbirth Education, Newborn Care, and / or Lactation classes in small groups or private sessions and / or facilitating postpartum support groups throughout New York City
- Eagerly and proactively engaging with the Birthsmarter team through internal communication and participation in team development and continuing education opportunities
- Communicating with students outside of class time
- Occasionally contributing to content development including, but not limited to, drafting content for blog posts and social media posting
- Networking and marketing on behalf of Birthsmarter when the opportunity arises
Time, Location, and Salary Considerations
Hours will vary based on your class load, but we’re looking for folks who can teach between 8 and 25 hours per month on Saturdays and Sundays and / or Monday to Thursday evenings in Greenpoint, BK or lower Manhattan. And who are available an additional 5 hours a month for virtual internal meetings and administrative work. For the right educator, we will create a schedule (days / location) that works best for you. Please note, we’re looking for folks available on September 9th + 10th to begin training.
Birthsmarter Educators are hired as W-2 Employees and will be paid $35/hour during their training period and for all ongoing administrative work and team meetings.
Teaching rates are $45/hour and up, commensurate with experience.
- Most importantly, we are looking for someone with a dynamic personality and facilitation presence. Birthsmarter educators are hospitality-minded, quick-witted, individuals who can make smart and busy Birthsmarter families feel seen, heard, respected, genuinely educated in a comfortable, light-hearted, and entertaining manner during class time.
- We're looking for folks with a depth of birth and postpartum experience, though the specifics of that experience can vary!
- Inclusivity is a core value at Birthsmarter. We’re looking for someone with an interest in teaching all families no matter their race, socio-economic status, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or birth preferences – in a shared space. We use gender neutral language and offer accessible pricing structures throughout our classes.
- A proven track-record of group teaching, facilitation, and classroom management.
- Comfort collaborating with an all-virtual team. We rely heavily on Zoom, Slack, Airtable, Notion, and across the Google G-Suite.
- Critical thinking and active listening skills.
- Two enthusiastic professional references.
Please fill our this application form, which asks for written responses to the following prompts. We’ll follow up within 24-hours to confirm that we received your application. Submitting a formal resume is optional at this time.
- Tell us why you’re interested in teaching with Birthsmarter! The more specific you can be, the better.
- Tell us about your teaching experience. Do you have formal or informal experience as an educator or group facilitator? What are your strengths and weaknesses in a classroom setting?
- Tell us about your experience in birth work. What sparked your interest in this field? What experiences meaningfully impacted the work you do today? What do you hope to contribute to the field as a professional?
- Tell us about your availability, in the short and long term. Which of our classes are you interested in teaching? How often are you interested in teaching? Which formats and locations are most convenient for you?
Lastly, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask before, during, or after you submit your application.
Birthsmarter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any legally protected status.