Resources to keep you informed, community to help you get connected, and support to help you navigate your pregnancy, birth, and postpartum journey.
Please remember not to make big decisions when you're exhausted. If you're not sleeping, find someone to hold your baby while you rest. That said, there is no one approach to sleep that works for everyone. Find the approach that works for you and your family.
THE BREASTFEEDING + SLEEP RELATIONSHIP
- Baby Sleep Info Source - Online resource
- Why You Should Throw Away Every Sleep Book! - Article
- Safe Sleep Seven, Le Leche League International - Article
- Interview with James McKenna - 4 minutes / YouTube. Watch more of his videos or read about his research here.
- Sweet Sleep: Nighttime and Naptime Strategies for the Breastfeeding Family - La Leche League International and Diane Wiessinger
- The Discontented Little Baby - Dr. Pam Douglas (Breastfeeding + Newborn Care)
- The Gentle Sleep Book: Gentle, No-Tears, Sleep Solutions for Parents of Newborns to Five-Year-Olds - Sarah Ockwell-Smith (attachment parent focused)
AAP SLEEP GUIDELINES
THOUGHTS ON SLEEP TRAINING
- The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Newborns
- The Happy Sleeper: The Science-Backed Guide to Helping Your Baby Get a Good Night's Sleep-Newborn to School Age - Heather Turgeon MFT and Julie Wright MFT (gentle sleep training guide)
- Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child: A Step-by-Step Program for a Good Night's Sleep - Marc Weissbluth M.D.
A Counter Point to Cry-It-Out Methods:
- Screaming to Sleep, Part One: The moral imperative to end 'cry it out'
- Screaming to Sleep, Part Two: The moral imperative to end 'cry it out'
BIG PICTURE THOUGHTS ON PARENTING + CULTURE
- Babies (2010) - Documentary, available to rent. It's so so good!
- Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent - Meredith Small
- Peaceful Parents, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting (The Peaceful Parent Series) - Laura Markham
- Ahaparenting.com - Online resource
NEWBORN CARE BASICS
POOP + DIAPERS
- Baby Poop Range of Normal
- Cloth VS. Disposable Diapers - NY Times, Wirecutter comparison
- The Best Diapers - NY Times, Wirecutter comparison
- Cotiere - They're a little more expensive than the big brand names, but these are our favorite disposable diapers.
- Esembly - If you're cloth diapering this is our favorite company. They teach a free cloth diapering workshop every month!
CRYING + SOOTHING
PERINATAL NEUROSCIENCE RESEARCH BY NILS BERGMAN
- For The Love Of Babies: Life In The NICU Author Dr. Sue Hall - Podcast episode
- Survival Guide: The NICU - Blog
- Hand to Hold - Virtual support group and online resource
Ask a Question
Have questions or don't see a resource that you think we should have on our list? Shoot us a message, we would love to hear from you!