The Birthsmarter Childbirth Education Course is offered in three formats:
👩🏽💻Live-Online |📍In-Person | 💻 On-Demand
Each format covers:
- Part 1: Labor + Delivery 101
- Birthsmarter’s The Three Actions™ of Birth and Five Partner Responsibilities
- Oxytocin and The Positive Feedback Loop of Labor
- Cervical Changes + Cervical Exams: What’s important?
- How to #KeepItMoving Through Birth
- The Stages of Labor
- Timing Contractions
- The Water “Breaking”
- Pre-Labor Signs
- Getting to Your Birth Location
- Hospital Vocabulary + “Birth Planning”: Triage, Monitoring, Pitocin and Pain Management, and Labor Induction
- Part 2: Comfort + Coping
- Labor Positions
- Breath Work
- Partner Massage Techniques
- Mantras, Affirmations + Visualizations
- Additional Comfort Measures
- Part 3: Push Prep
- Posture, Alignment, + Breath for Pelvic Health
- Fetal Alignment
- Pushing Positions
- 60-page interactive workbook book, including our Birth Planning Guide and Hospital Packing List
- Access to Birthsmarter's Online Resource Directory for Pregnancy + Parenting
- Gender Neutral Language
- Weekly Office Hours on Zoom
- Partner Perks + Discounts
- (On-Demand Videos are Captioned)
The Birthsmarter Childbirth Education Course DOES NOT include Postpartum Planning, Newborn Care, and Lactation (Not So) Basics. These are available as a series, or Á La Carte.
What props/tools are required for class?
We will supply everything you need for in-person learning. If you’re attending class live, online or watching On-Demand it might be helpful to have:
- An inflated birth ball
- A chair with no arms (a kitchen chair or folding chair)
- A body pillow/yoga bolster/two bed pillows
- A tennis ball or other massage tool
- A big scarf (like a classic Pashmina)
- A water bottle with a straw top, or a glass of water with a straw
- A heating pad
- Lotion or oil, perhaps with a scent you enjoy
The price covers registration for 2 adults.
Childbirth Education Format Details:
Classes are offered as
a) a Weekend Intensive, meeting both Saturday + Sunday afternoons which leaves times for hands on practice and discussion.
b) a One-Day Condensed course which leaves limited time for hands on practice and discussion.
c) a 3-Class Series which leaves time for hands on practice in Comfort + Coping and Push Prep
d) On-Demand videos which consists of pre-recorded video lessons you can access and watch anytime, entirely at your own pace with lots of instruction for hands on practice.
The Live, Online Course operates as a 3-Class Series over Zoom. Part 1: Labor + Delivery 101 and Part 2: Comfort + Coping meet back-to-back on a Saturday (12pm-3:30pm EST + 4:00-6:00pm EST respectively) and Part 3: Push Prep meets the following week from (7:00-9:30pm EST).
Which Class is Right for Me?
In-Person classes are an ideal environment for expectant parents who are interested in learning in a community environment with time for hands-on practice and discussion.
Our Live-Online classes over Zoom are ideal for expectant parents who are interested in accountability, live instruction, and having the opportunity to ask questions and participate in discussion.
The On-Demand Class option is perfect for those who are self-motivated learners and want to move at their own pace, on their own time. It is also a great option for those who have scheduling conflicts, but still want to prepare with Birthsmarter.
When should I take Childbirth Education?
Ideally, you would take childbirth education classes between week 28 and week 34. Some clients start as early as week 24 and others find us around week 37. It’s never too early and it’s never too late!
Wait, why are Labor + Delivery 101, Push Prep and Comfort + Coping sold separately elsewhere on the site? We also offer these three classes Á La Carte for folks who are only interested in one or two subjects. For example, we've had clients take a traditional birth class elsewhere and feel disappointed that there was no hands-on practice or acknowledgement of the pelvic floor and want to supplement their education with Comfort + Coping or Push Prep. Others may be looking for a refresher course for baby #2 or #3. Everything you can select here 👆, labeled “Childbirth Education” (whether it’s In-Person, Live-Online, or On-Demand), covers all three subjects! Rest assured, 99% of the time, we recommend first time parents take this option instead of choosing individual subject matters. The sections feed into each other and are all equally important.
If finances are a concern:
Please reach out about Alternative Pricing.
We work to ensure that no one will be turned away due to lack of funds.
The price includes two people.