Birthsmarter Childbirth Educator Training Program
Monday, January 1, 2024
The Birthsmarter Childbirth Educator Training Program is meant to launch a small number of highly-qualified, exemplary educators who are passionate about bringing Birthsmarter's curriculum, values, and mission to their local community via regular, in-person, childbirth education classes beginning in the summer of 2024. In order to ensure your preparedness, we promise:
_A comprehensive 4-month training program filled with live virtual instruction, self-paced work, a small accountability group, ample practice teaching opportunities, community building, direct access to Caprice Abowitt, Birthsmarter’s Director of Education, and Ashley Brichter, Birthsmarter’s Founder, as well as Birthsmarter's operational and marketing support as you begin teaching._
With 12-months of access to:
1. license the Birthsmarter branding and all Birthsmarter educational materials, including teacher guides, student workbooks, and visual aids.
2. use a Birthsmarter Childbirth Educator certification mark when promoting your services.
3. marketing support including, but not limited to placement on the forthcoming Find-a-Birthsmarter Class directory, a library of digital and print-ready marketing collateral, introductions to strategic partners in your area, digital event promotion, and on-going business mentorship.
4. a community platform offering continuing education and professional development sessions, the ability to prepare for and troubleshoot classes, and receive ongoing mentorship.
After one-year, you’ll be able to renew your membership.
The current climate of childbirth education leaves so much to be desired. Mainstream options are often outdated and biased leaving expectant parents prepared for unrealistic scenarios which leave folks feeling like unexpected or unwanted outcomes are the result of a personal failing. Most curriculums over promise certain outcomes, leave partners out, and transfer information but don’t teach people how to think critically.
Since 2019 we’ve been working to improve birth for families and elevate families through birth and set out on a clear mission of providing unbiased, inclusive, and accessible childbirth education to as many families as possible. We’ve had the privilege of educating over 7,000 expectant parents online and in-person. We've trained 15 educators, expanded to new locations, and regularly receive 5-star reviews.
While virtual education will continue to be a cornerstone of our offerings, we are seeing increased demand for in-person learning. We’ve worked diligently to craft a training program in which we can share our knowledge and resources to help a small group of dedicated and skilled individuals become exceptional educators and bring Birthsmarter’s paradigm-shifting classes to more communities throughout the United States and Canada.
In total, between lectures, meetings, and self-paced work this program will require 15 to 20 hours per month from March until June. The program entails:
1. Two Virtual Weekend Sessions
2. Teacher training will kick-off with a weekend intensive March 2nd + 3rd from 12:00pm - 6:30pm ET and we’ll gather for a mid-point weekend intensive May 4th + 5th from 12:00pm - 6:30pm ET on Zoom. These session will be a mix of lecture, discussion, practice teaching, and community building. Live attendance for the entirety of both weekends is mandatory in order to complete the program.
3. Virtual Lectures
4. In addition to our weekend sessions we will host thirteen, ~2 hour lectures on Zoom. We hope that you’re able to attend many of these lectures live but they will be recorded for anyone who cannot attend.
5. Weekly Meetings
6. To integrate what you’re learning, create community, and help you hold each other accountable, you can expect to have a 60-90 minute meeting per week. We’ll have both:
1. 7 instructor-led discussion and practicum sessions which will meet on Monday March 11th, March 25th, April 8th, April 22nd, May 20th, and June 3rd from 8-9:30pm ET
2. Small accountability group meetings the weeks of March 4th, March 18th, April 1st, April 15th, April 29th, May 13th, May 27th, and June 10th. The day / time will be determined by your group.
7. Attendance at these meetings is required, however we understand that folks may have to miss 1-practicum and 1-accountability group for Spring Break, Spring Holidays and / or various life-demands.
8. Self-Paced Work:
9. Throughout the program you’ll be asked to spend time consuming selected readings, videos, podcasts, and research papers, tour local hospitals, and audit Birthsmarter classes. You will also be asked to produce a mix of written and video content.
10. NYC Final Team Teach + Graduation Weekend, June 22nd + 23rd.
Program Completion + Certification
Once accepted into the Birthsmarter Childbirth Educator training course, you must attend all of our virtual sessions and meetings and complete the self paced work. In the event you cannot attend a lecture session, you are required to watch a recording of the missed session prior to the next session and complete any/all materials needed. After the training journey is complete, a final assessment will be given. This will be a mix of short answer, essay, and video submission. This will be graded as a Pass / Fail. If you do not pass your final assessment someone from the Birthsmarter team will set up time for an interview to discuss potential pathways for certification, if any.
Financial Investment: $2,500
Unlike other childbirth educator certification programs, it is our utmost intention that at the end of our 14 weeks together you will be knowledgable, practiced, resourced, and ready to begin teaching immediately. Given the small group size, highly-practical nature, and limited geographical exclusivity, we foresee teachers being able to recoup their initial investment after 2 to 3 group classes.
Payment is due in full at the start of the program. To make this program accessible to all, the Alternative Pricing Policy we have for childbirth education classes applies to this Teacher Training Program. Please review the document and let us know if you have any questions.
\*Travel to and from NYC and accommodations in NYC for the June 22nd weekend are not included in tuition.
Cancellation / Drop Out Policy
Given the limited cohort size and the amount of personal attention you will receive, no refunds will be given if you decide to leave the program for any reason. For true family emergencies, individuals may be able to extend their payment to a future cohort or make up missed time with a facilitator at cost.
Who’s this for?
This program is ideal for self-motivated, moderately entrepreneurial, dynamic, inclusive, and unbiased individuals with a background in birth work, health and wellness, or education looking to add in-person Birthsmarter childbirth education courses to their professional offerings and connect to a community of like-minded educators for ongoing support and professional development.
This program is NOT for those who need micromanagement nor for those who are looking to use this training to build their own brand of Childbirth Education classes. It is not for folks who may be passionate about the topics but lack the experience or persona to develop into a dynamic educator / group facilitator. This program is not for anyone who would be uncomfortable teaching any couple or individual based on their identity politics. At this time, this program is NOT for anyone based in NYC or SLC. We already host regular group classes in those cities and are looking to expand our geographical reach.
To apply, we'd like you to answer a few questions, share your resume, and create a 3-5 minute Loom video introducing yourself / explaining your resume. We're excited to get to know more about your presentation style this way. Please review the details of and submit your application here.
Applications are due by January 28th
Decisions will be made by January 31st
Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Find live, virtual & on-demand classes and support groups near you: